Monday, April 13, 2015

TEDEd for making lessons

TED talks are always interesting and many of them contain thoughtful discussions from people who have many years of experience in their field. Being able to take and turn these videos into lessons through the TEDEd website is something new I would have never thought someone would have created as an option. This wonderful option for lesson creation  I think students would really enjoy using because many young people watch TED talks on our own because of how interesting they are.
For my lesson I looked for a video that would have advice for students studying English as well as new ideas for me as a teacher. The Three Secrets You Need to Know About Spoken English by Judy Thompson for me was very informative and gave me more perspective on the number of people who speak English in the world.

My Objectives are:

  1. Make sure they understand how the three things discussed can impact their learning of english
  2. Students will be able to provide a thoughtful response to the question posed in the lesson
  3. Have the students sum up how they believe understanding each of the three secrets can impact their learning of English natively. 
I think the best way of testing to see if the objectives are meet is first to have the students write a short response summing up the video and what the three secrets are, then to have a in class discussion about how they think the knowledge shared by the ESL teacher can impact their learning. I think having a guided discussion will allow the students to share the ideas with their classmates and with me. I believe their opinions on the video will be valuable as well because as language learners their view is different then mine as the instructor. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds as if the students would learn a lot from this lesson.

    ReplyDelete